Thursday, April 1, 2010
Homeless vs. Democrazy Now!
NYC has a problem, a real problem, something that in my opinion can be completely avoidable. Homelessness. The homeless take shelter on many steps, benches and alley ways of the city that never sleeps. They hurry to shelters to get whatever resources they can. The homeless live a life that is rather inhumane, and saddens me to observe. Often times, as I pass a homeless man or woman I wonder “Why is it that in one of the wealthiest cities in the world we have a problem with people that are homeless? I’ve followed this problem on two differnt news sources, Democracynow.com and wnyc.org answers to our problem. According to Democracynow.com” New York Homelessness Soars 34%” and there is no given reason to why. They only write about the problem and not what can be done to fix it, as I feel many news stories and documentaries do. Cindy Rodriguez a writer from wnyc.org says “The Mayor's Management Report shows evidence of the down economy. More people are homeless, on welfare, and getting food stamps”. Well in my opinion, these articles are in no way wrong; they both reflect the unfortunate statistics associated with homelessness. However, that is exactly the problem, they only reflect the STATISTICS. As many news sources do, they address such pressing issues with numbers. But numbers don’t tell a story, help one feel empathy, and reflect the fact that behind these numbers are people, just like you and me. I feel that until these news sources change their approach to addressing and delivering information on the homeless, this cycle will only refresh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment